Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food and beverage industry supply chain, and to play our part in ensuring families across the US and overseas can sit down together to eat.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates 165+ temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, China, Argentina, and Canada. In North America we have over 11,000 associates and offer a wide variety of employment opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
Sets strategic direction for and reinforces the importance of Health and Safety for Americold Incorporated. Manages the overall Health and Safety programs, including development and implementation of goals, strategies, policies and practices. Works with site management teams to integrate Health and Safety performance and compliance into facility operations. Develops opportunities to provide strategic and competitive advantage through cross-functional interaction. Provides leadership to drive continuous improvement in Health and Safety performance, while assuring comprehensive operational compliance.
1. Develops, maintains, and reviews Corporate Health and Safety programs to ensure compliance with current and future legal, regulatory and corporate requirements.
2. Manages regular strategic review of EHS in the organization and provides appropriate objectives and programs to improve overall EHS performance and to defend against future liabilities.
3. Provides leadership and direction to site location’s management team.
4. Participates in Regional Vice President’s Quarterly Meetings to present Health and Safety performance statistics, discuss upcoming Health and Safety actions to improve functional performance, and proactively identifies and promptly addresses Safety and Health issues which may affect operations or may provide strategic advantage to the business.
5. Tracks metrics and drives Health and Safety improvement and performance in the organization.
6. Develops, supports and executes processes to reduce Associate injury and lost time rates, and to pro-actively manage Worker’s Compensation cases.
7. Leads by example a culture of safety through his actions, communications, promotions, and Behavioral Based Safety Training.
8. Establishes the priorities and manages the implementation of Health and Safety management programs.
9. Manages all Health and Safety regulatory reporting requirements.
10. Hold Managers and Supervisors at all levels accountable for the Safety Performance of their operations.
11. Represents the company on Health and Safety affairs with relevant external parties ensuring adequate response to all regulatory and legal issues.
12. Effectively manages corporate services across Americold site locations, looking for leveraging opportunities to improve service levels for both internal and external customers.
13. Provides support to selected Corporate Health and Safety initiatives with global application.
14. Assist corporate engineering in qualifying contractors during the initial bidding process for major projects.
15. Conduct annual Safety Management Systems Audits to verify continuing compliance with corporate and regulatory requirements.
16. Oversee annual line item budgeting for self.
Education, Training & Professional Experience:
• BS degree, preferably in Safety Science, Safety Engineering, Safety Management, Risk Management or Physical Sciences
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in managing safety related programs
• Knowledge of safety training management
• Knowledge of state / federal standards and regulations
• Experience in warehouse or transportation industry preferred
Knowledge & Employment Standards:
• Experience with development, management safety systems across numerous locations desired
• Strong organizational skills are mandatory with the ability to deploy programs company wide
• Project management skills required to keep projects on target
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization
• Solid decision making skills utilizing sound judgment
• Strong overall computer skills required, (Microsoft Word, Excel, Project are required)
• Must be self-motivated with high degree of initiative
• Must be able to travel up to 75% of the time
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, with frequent interruptions
• Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
• Requires manual dexterity with normal hand and finger movements for typical office work
• Talking, hearing, and seeing are important elements of completing assigned tasks
• Requires frequent travel by automobile and airplane up to 75% of the time
• Requires visiting facility operations in temperatures at or below freezing
• Frequently carries loads related to travel and occasionally lifts, carries, positions, or moves objects weighing up to 20 pounds
• Requires the use of various electronic tools
• Occasionally works evenings or weekends in order to complete objectives or to attend meetings
• Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
• Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from executive management
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.